Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I'm bringing StitchingBack

Backstitching is an outlining stitch done with a single thread that is used to define a piece of needlework. When I first started cross-stitching years ago, I ignored the backstitch instructions. Partly because, once you finish cross-stitching, you want to be done! Woohoo! This piece is finished! And having to go back over the entire piece again is a special kind of purgatory. But, also partly because I didn't really think it made a difference.

I just finished this piece today, and I think it illustrates really clearly how important backstitching can be.


I'm almost finished with this. Just need to go back and stitch baby's name in and then...one more bib down!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks SO GOOD! I'm very impressed.

BTW- very clever blog title. :)

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Al! I had to wrack my boring little brain for that one. :P

Family Roots said...

That is so cool! I think you are right about the back stitching. It makes a huge difference.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for stopping by, Lindsay!