Friday, May 4, 2007

One Letter Down!

I've finished the Big Bad Letter A! Doesn't seem like I get two finishes, two days in a row very often. Or ever! So, I am one happy camper today.

The original design has a pink A, but it didn't mesh well with the M and N. I'm really happy with the substitute color I picked out. I agonized over the backstitch color choice and think it came out pretty well! Does DMC have a color wheel or anything that helps you find compatible colors?

Now, I just need to backstitch the N and start (and finish) the M. Guess I need to get cracking on the next step, as I'm skeptical these will just jump into a quilt all by themselves. Unfortunately.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

The first place to look for DMC colors is on the DMC website.

http://www.dmc-usa.com/majic/pageServer/13010000ji/en_US/QuickReferences.html

On this page you will find a PDF of all the color numbers and color names. Personally, I have wound about half of my DMC threads on cards and filed them by Color Name.

http://www.crosstitch.com/floss.html

This site allows you to print DMC shopping list (with colors) of up to 80 colors at a time.

Hope this helps.m

Alicia said...

Oh, dumb question - couldn't you just use the colors from the other two letters to substitute in on the A? Uh, you know, if you hadn't already finished it... I've never cross stitched before, so I'm not really sure how that works. But it looks great!

Dawn T. said...

It looks great! Great job:)

Have a wonderful weekend.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Kathryn! That's a great tip!

Al - Not a dumb question! I actually did do that, I pulled a color used a little in this design and quite a bit in the N to use for the A. What I struggled with was finding a color to backstitch the A with, since it needed to be dark enough to create a clear border without being so dark it looked like the wrong shade of lip liner. ;) And, it needed to be close enough to the main color that they looked like different shades of the same color.

Thanks, Dawn!! You too!