Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Knot Good

So, apparently I suck at knots. French knots, colonial knots...I don't discriminate. After some practice, I finally got a string of decent knots on my scrap cloth. But, when I tried to do some on my piece, they looked like crap. So, I decided to cut my losses and leave out the rest of the knots. :( Which is frustrating, but it does mean I'm done, so...yay?

Any tips on knots, ladies?

I finally joined the 21st century and bought a scanner. So, this is my first piece that I actually scanned instead of taking a picture of it!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Some people use a bead instead of a knot. Mill Hill does make a lot of beads that match DMC colors.

Jenn said...

I use beads instead of French Knots. Congrats on finishing your piece. It looks great.

Dawn T. said...

I use MH beads when I get too frustrated with them. The piece looks wonderful:)

Alicia said...

Oh! I'm so happy you finished! What are you going to do with it? I still don't know what to do with mine. I'm looking forward to trying out this flower and new fancy schmancy stitching technique. :)

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the tips!! And thanks for making me feel a wee better since I'm not the only one frustrated with knots!

Al - I was going to frame it, but now I'm going to try to get my hands on some beads first. Did you get the package!?!?

Alicia said...

Not yet. Maybe today? I'll let you know when I do.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Looks lovley! Wish you lived nearby... it my goal in life to teach everyone the Colonial Knot once you're shown it ... its so easy.

But like others say... beads work nicely too!

Lelia said...

When knots fail, use beads!

Seriously, when I learned to make french knots, I was told to only go around the needle ONE time -- and to use enough fiber so the knot didn't slip to the back. AND, if the knot didn't look 'right' to try wrapping the fiber around the needle in the other direction.

I have not tried the colonial knot; however, have heard they are a snap compared to the french knot.

Enjoy practicing : )