Thursday, July 5, 2007

All Fish, All The Time

I finally finished making Mr. Betamax into a patch for my son's backpack. I had a hard time finding velcro that was big enough (even doubled up). Him being out of school for the summer put a damper on my motivation as well. :) But, now it's ready to go for next year!

I let my husband talk me into using the sticky side of the velcro for the patch because that's how they are on his uniform. But, it has since occurred to me that this is only to faciliate washing the uniforms. Hand sewing the aida onto the back of the sticky side of the velcro was M-U-R-D-E-R. The floss kept getting tangled up in the little velcro coils and then it wouldn't lay right and just ARGH. You can see a couple of spots on the edging where the floss got all messed up and the stitch just looks bad. Oh well. Little Man is thrilled. :)





















I've also made some progress on little Nemo. Shouldn't be too long now!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so clever. I hope your son enjoys it.

Sue said...

I love your fish and Nemo. That must have been a pain to sew that velcro, I can visualize easily what you went through ;)

Jenn said...

Your fish look great! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! That does sound like a pain, but it looks amazing! Is your son the big fish lover?

As for LNSs in Raleigh, I usually go to the Lazy Daizy (which has a website, but it seems to be down right now). The ladies there are wonderful, especially Sarah (the owner) and Tayna. This is their anniversary year, so they've been having tons of special sales and contests.

The other one I've been to is The French Knot, which is more needlepoint oriented. One of the women who works there part time won several ribbons at the State Fair last year for her cross stitch. They're more expensive on some things, and don't have as good as selection, but I occasionally go there for fabric, as they carry some brands that Lazy Daizy doesn't.

If you ever get up here, I'd love to go shop hopping with you!

Dawn T. said...

I LOVE the backpack! Great job:) Nemo looks wonderful, too.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Your son's backpack will stand out in a crowd for sure!!!

Nemo is almost done!!!

stitcherw said...

They are both wonderful. The beta on the backpack is such a neat idea (sorry the velcro was such a pain), and nemo is looking cute as well. He'll be done in no time.
Sue

Glenna said...

Those are absolutely beautiful fish! How clever to make a patch out of the beta.

Kate said...

They're both looking very fishy. :P Your son must be thrilled with his bag. A great way to make sure he never brings home the wrong bag!