Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ornaments and Geckos and Lilies Oh My!


Thanks to all of you for the great tips and tricks in my last post!! I'm a self-taught stitcher and most of the time I'm just winging it. :P I'm learning so much reading all of your blogs and your comments here! So...thanks!! :D

I've made some progress on my Hawaiian quilt ornament. I decided to try the spiraling thing with the overdyed thread and I really like the look. I can see how stripes would be better for certain things, but for this I like the spirals. I'll just have to flip the design so the stripey corner is (hopefully) not very noticeable on the bottom.

I think for the next ornament, I'll stitch around the outline and then confetti the insides, just to see how that looks. I'm running out of Turkish red, so I'll need to order a few more skeins!


I also got a start on my tribal gecko. I'm loving this little guy! I'm having to be very careful of where the thread sits on the back of the piece, but other than that the little guy is easy peasy. And so cute!



We also planted a few lilies in the yard and one of them bloomed! And then promptly died the next day. lol I think I need to move them. I'm not sure they're getting enough sun where they are.

6 comments:

Dawn T. said...

I love the color your using on your ornie. Great start on Gecko...he's a cutie:)

Kate said...

I'm loving the colours of that ornament! The idea to spiral is fantastic, I like the effect.

The little gecko is cute. Are you using 2 strands of black or 3?

Sue said...

Your WIP's look great. I love the gecko ;)

Anonymous said...

They're both wonderful! I like the spiral effect a lot, too!

Anonymous said...

Your flower is a daylily--the flowers only last one day.

stitcherw said...

Love both your pieces. I'm so glad that you found a method with the overdyes that you like, it looks lovely. The Gecko is looking very cute too. It is a fun stitch, I really enjoyed doing the one for my DD.
Sue