Saturday, July 21, 2007

Catchin' up, catchin' up!


It's been a few days since I posted, so this is going to be a little long...

I got my fabric order from Silkweavers! I got two small pieces of opalescent fabric - Dew Drop (the green one) and Treasure Trove (the bluey/purpley/taupey one). They are SO pretty! And I love the sparklies, though I'm not sure you can see them in the pic. The linen is also nice and soft and seems really even. Definitely worth the wait!!

I started a project I'll be working on with my friend Alicia. I'm stitching the name, and she'll be quilting a wallhanging for a mutual friend's daughter. I think I should have used my WDW Bubblegum, but I picked up DMC 107 because it seemed darker and closer to the color we wanted. I'm not really happy with the DMC - seems like each color goes for a long time before a change, and the changes are rather abrupt. Just makes me appreciate my WDW fibers even more!

I also started one of the Hawaiian quilt ornaments. I'm really happy with how this piece is coming so far. I love the WDW Turkish Red! I love the Silkweaver Dew Drop linen! I love the Christmas-y contrast between the colors! I love the shape of the design! It's really nice to be working on a piece that I love everything about after feeling so meh about the last couple of smalls.

I guess I've been busy, I even put in a small section on my BAP. I was really depressed about it at first. This is actually only the second piece I ever worked on. Why yes, I am completely insane - funny you should ask. :P I should have started with little fun pieces. Anyhow, four years ago when I started it, I decided to use 4 strands of floss (4!?!?!?!) and my stitches were soooooooo sloppy. It looks horrible. The entire time I was putting in the new section, I was totally bummed. After putting it away for a few more days, I've decided to go ahead and start over. While that means even more work, it's really a relief to make that decision. Now, I'm actually looking forward to working on it again! I'm including a scan so you can see just how totally ridiculous it looks. Click on it to see what I'm talking about in horrifying detail. :P

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry about the restart, but better a restart than an UFO that you hate.

Are you going to change from Aida to a linen or evenweave? Do you railroad your stitches? i.e. "If you are stitching with two strands of floss, you may also place your needle between the strands of floss before drawing the floss down. This will help the strands of floss to lay side-by-side instead of twisting." More description here:

http://www.mismatch.co.uk/cross.htm#railroad

Dani - tkdchick said...

Lovely new fabrics!!!

Great WIPS.

I think your BAP is not that bad but yeah I'd start over too!

Kate said...

I've found the same thing with DMC variegated. Long stretches of colour with very rapid changes in between. I haven't tried WDW floss, maybe I should.

Good luck on the restart! I'm really loathe to restitch something, but sometimes you just have to.

Sue said...

I love your new linen from Silkweaver, they are very pretty. I don't think your piece looks bad, but stitching with 4 strands of floss must have been difficult ;)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely drool-worthy fabric. I love the Turkish red, too!

Good luck on the restart - it looks like it'll be really pretty when redone.