Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My Very Amateur Needlebook

First, to answer a question. Chiasmata - I'm using 3 strands of black on the gecko, per the instructions. I think they're right that 2 might not be enough coverage.

Here are the pics of the needlebook I made for my friend Alicia. This was definitely a learning experience! I didn't measure accurately enough which made the front and back designs offcenter. And, I handstitched the hem around three sides and then turned it right side out. I *should* have used a slip stitch along the last side, but I thought it would look bad against the lining fabric. I didn't realize backstitching along the last edge would totally flatten that edge! Argh! Oh well. I'll make a nicer one next time. :) Oh, and poor Alicia had to sew the seam down the "spine" of the book herself. lol I really need to get a sewing machine and learn how to sew...

I really like the chart I used for the cover, though. I think I may do it again for myself as a redwork piece!




9 comments:

Alicia said...

I didn't mind doing the sewing at all! And I love this, it's so handy! It's sitting on top of the quilt I'm working on right now! And I just started using the Piecemakers you sent along with it today. So nice! They slide right through! I'll have to get used to the better quality, I keep not expecting it to come through and stabbing myself in the finger. LOL. And even then, it just glides! :rotfl: All kidding aside, thank you so much! You are a goof friend indeed!

Kate said...

Ah, thanks for the answer! My WIP Sweet Revenge is very similar to the gecko - black over a bright fabby. My chart said use 2 strands and I started off that way, but didn't like the coverage. I frogged the whole thing and started again, but I've been second guessing myself ever since. I liked how your gecko was stitching up, so I thought I'd ask. :)

Cute little needlebook! Great work on the finish too. It's great learning how to do something new.

Dawn T. said...

I think it looks wonderful! Mistakes give the piece character:)

Sue said...

I love your needlebook. You did a much better job than I'd ever be able to do ;)

Anonymous said...

That's really cool! There's a first time for everything - and I certainly haven't been brave enough yet to try to make a needlebook!

Cindy said...

Congratulations on your finish :) I'll give you a ton of credit for attempting it! I'm sure that I would have procrastinated on the finishing.

BTW...I have read reports elsewhere about Hobby Lobby downscaling their stitching departments, so it probably is worth a trip. It's sad that they are doing that, but if it's happening we may as well take advantage of it :)

Hazel said...

Its such a sweet needlebook and I have used the same design myself to make a pinkeep. In reference to yr question in an earlier post about using variegated threads, this is quite helpful. If you scroll past all the colours to the bottom there are some quick tips on how to use them. www.needlenecessities.com/catalog/floss/floss.html
xx

stitcherw said...

Very pretty, love the design. I think you were quite brave to try the finishing. I don't sew, and so far haven't been brave enough to try a needlebook, biscornu, or any of the other cute finishes I've seen lately. I really need to try at least one, but looking at yours I'd say you are well on your way.
Sue

Dani - tkdchick said...

You did a great job! Finishing techniques just get better the more you do it!